Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Contingent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask ACS Heating and Air Conditioning in Tucker about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are some things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the timeline between expert cleanings.
Above all, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the experts at ACS Heating and Air Conditioning. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating efficiently, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also talk to the team at ACS Heating and Air Conditioning about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and replacing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will display dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not require replacement.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that let dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some proactive measures, you can help keep the air in your Tucker home clean and healthy. Give the pros at ACS Heating and Air Conditioning a call at 770-450-1539.