You’re in the middle of the most frigid week of winter and you wake up shaking in a pile of blankets in bed. The first thought to go through your head is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re predestined to suffer until morning to arrange furnace repair, but there are a few things you can inspect, as well as a couple things you can do, to stay ready and prep for a scenario like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly predicament.
- Pull together supplies. Create some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace is out. It might seem inconvenient or unnecessary now, but it will be a relief when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace may have been tripped by a power surge or for another reason. If this is the case, flip the breaker back on and you may be set. If the breaker is tripped and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t operating, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Add layers and get cozy. That list of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you retain body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your pro. Also, try to find something to do to keep your blood pumping, as increased activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Utilizing something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose potential danger depending on the method you’re going with. It’s important to remember to never utilize heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use another method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your go-tos.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has quit running, but the probability is real if you don’t take the right steps. Give the experts at ACS Heating and Air Conditioning a call at 770-450-1539 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services available or any other number of heating questions.